Contributor: City Girl
This post will be brief, but it depressed me enough that I thought it was worth noting.
Ah, facebook, what would I do without thee? How would I know which of my high school acquaintances that I haven't spoken to in five years is now with child without your endless wisdom? How would I know whether or not my friend Sam's relationship has finally come to an end for the umpteenth time? How would I know that the woman who hired me is, in fact, six months younger than I am and graduated from college a year after I did?
...
I realize that this is not of the norm. Fate has favored this girl, the company I work for is not that big, and she does have a tiny-yet-commanding presence that I will never be able to achieve. Even knowing what I know now I still view her as being about 10 years my senior, but in my soul of souls it depresses me that in the year I spent detouring in other activities (some of which could very well be considered of The Crazy) I could have been achieving real job status and would not now have to be addressing the pros and cons of living on Ramen Noodles for the forseeable future.
I think this ties into Speak Coffee's post about employers wanting vanilla. It's so true!!! They want vanilla starting with the path you choose to pursue in college. And the fact that I have now detoured from that path gets a big ol' WTF from most people I meet or interview with. Even interviewing for my current internship I was asked: "Are you SURE you no longer want to be an actress?" Yes, I'm SURE dammit! I'm sorry I wasn't born knowing exactly what I wanted to do with my life and have instead detoured from my "path" in a myriad ways. Is it really that uncommon to not know what you really want to do in college? I think it was acceptable when I was in high school, but in the four years I was in college and beyond it has become...uncool? Geez, you really have to know EXACTLY what you want to do to get anywhere in this world. Or you have to be really good at pretending you know. Which is what I did to get hired at my internship. Which I love by the way.
Except for the fact that my superior is younger than me totally weirds me out and makes me feel even more certain that I wasted the last year of my life. People (ex: my mother) can tell you that you will have a use for whatever you learn, but in the real world (at least in NY) they don't care. They want you to know exactly what you want to do and be an expert in your area.
Good thing I took those acting classes in college or I would never know how to pretend to know what I want to do with my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment