To bring you a "bitch of the week."
I've been thinking about what I want to write for my "spring cleaning" post, BUT this just happened and I have to get it off my chest since it's pretty consistent with my complaints of the past.
The following conversation took place this past Saturday around noon. I had just finished a six mile walk (no I'm not kidding. YES this is City Girl. What do you mean you don't believe me???) and was sitting down to lunch with a friend and her family. After discussing jobs we fell into the inevitable school discussion, including majors, etc. and I then had the following exchange with her aunt (again, please keep in mind I had just walked six miles and was very hungry):
Aunt: "Where did you grow up?"
CG: "In ********, **"
Aunt: "Really? Isn't Really-Good-State-School there?"
CG: "Yep. A lot of my friends went there, including my current roommate."
Aunt: "But you went to Mediocre-Out-Of-State-School?"
CG: "Yeah."
Aunt: (Clearly flabbergasted) "Why?"
CG: "Well, I didn't get into Really-Good-State-School."
Aunt: "Even though you were in state?"
CG: "Yeah. Actually, my parents went there as well. It's where they met."
Aunt: "Your parents went there, and you grew up there, and you still didn't get in?"
CG: (Beginning to become irrate) "Yeah...well...I don't think my grades were good enough. It's a very good school. I was wait listed but didn't get in."
Aunt: "Wow. Were you surprised you didn't get in?"
CG: (Realizing that her irrate-ness is now becoming palpable. Hopes this will be a good indication that the conversation should end) "Not really, I guess. I mean, like I said, my grades weren't very good."
CG's Friend: (Trying to intervene, bless her heart) "What were their averages there?"
CG: "I don't really remember. It was over six years ago when I applied."
CG's Friend: "Well, Mediocre-Out-Of-State-School is pretty good."
CG: "Yeah, it's not bad."
Conversation is blessedly dropped as food arrives.
Ok, really, "Were you surprised that you didn't get in?" Who says that? I mean, I know circumstances were such that I was very tired, hungry, and therefore more emotionally sensitive than I otherwise would be. But really? Am I crazy for being offended by that comment? I suppose offended is the wrong word. Shocked at the audacity? I dunno. I'll let Speak Coffee choose a statement to best describe the above conversation. She is the writer. I mean, I didn't even get into Really-Good-State-School even though I grew up there and both my parents attended. Can you believe it???
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Tactless.
The word I choose is tactless. Actually, I was thinking that word again and again, louder and louder as I read on but the fact that you asked me for a word was just damn fabulous!
Most well-adjusted adults gain some modicrum of sensitivity for the subject matter they discuss with others. (Or so I like to think.) However I am discovering more and more people that lack basic social skills that are still doing okay out in the world. They don't have oodles of friends, but they do seem to find okay jobs and end up married to someone equally tactless.
And unless it's a tiny little school, legacy doesn't matter -- unless your legacy comes with enough monetary donations to name a building after your family.
And I wrote a bunch more - but I think all that deserves its own post!
Perfect!!! That is exactly the word I was looking for.
Post a Comment